Thursday, February 26, 2015

2 years: How'd that happen?

This weekend I was in a grocery store in Cochabamba and I ran into my friend Lila and her baby.  I was coaxing and cooing the baby to smile at me.  The mom invited me to her baby's one year birthday party, coming right up.  What happened?  Wasn't I was just sewing a onsies for this little one's baby shower?

Doing the dishes last night I was reflecting on our kids' summer vacation, basically Thanksgiving to the beginning of February.  I knew I hadn't accomplished all that I wanted to:  more math problems with Astoria, more English phonics with Kellton, more free time for me to read.  Where did the time go?  At least I read 5 of the Chronicles of Narnia to the kids, but I had had big plans.  
Kellton's first (2007), and more recent, introduction to C.S. Lewis' "Prince Caspian"


I just received a Christmas card from our friends the Osborns in Helena, MT.  They had a daughter in Kellton's class, and another in Astoria's class.  But there was another daughter in their Christmas photo...where did she come from?  Last time I saw her, she was a bundle of cuteness stuffed in an arctic snow suit...and her Christmas photo looks like she's got spunk and personality to spare, and knowing the Osborns she's probably already reading "War and Peace".  I can't wait to "meet her" again, but couldn't believe how much she's changed.

Today marks our family's 2 year anniversary of our time in Bolivia.  How could that be?  Thankfully Quinn and I aren't getting any older, and we're happy no one has mentioned the additional wrinkles (thank you Bolivian sun).  But the truth is, time is passing.  And it's hard to stop and take a moment to reflect on all that's changed, when everything seems to happen so fast.

This present season will mark big highlights for us, and some significant changes as well.  But today, I want to pause for a moment and reflect on the past 2 years.  There's been friendships, teaching business skills, and serving snacks at a children's ministry, and supporting our kids' school.  Those are just slivers of our time here; our experience has been so rich.  The past two years have bought a huge amount of learning and growth for each of us, and our "lives in Bolivia" will always be a very special treasure to our family.

A few photo highlights:
Dreams come true:
  Kellton's visit to the Air Traffic Control room at the Cochabamba Airport


My visit to Bolivia's amazing Salar de Uyuni


My dad, "Papa Mac", comes to Bolivia and loves practicing his Spanish.
  We had a memorable time cheering on Wilstermann 
at Felix Capriles stadium.
Dad also volunteered to teach English at our kids' school.



What's could be more fun than a visit from Nana?
  When she brings her sister, Aunt Molly!
At Incan ruins, Incallajta.


Cochabamba Day festivities at Despertad.



Spelunking in Toro Toro with Michelle McCarten.
  Michelle also co-taught a teacher's in-service while here.
 Her topic was the benefit of including music and movement
while instructing young students.


Kellton receives a "well done graduate" kiss 
 from dearly loved Profesora Nancy

Cafe and compañeros:  Quinn, Duane and Jhonny

Doorman Edgar and friend Mauricio make each day better

Bolivia, we love you!











1 comment:

  1. Very sweet! Happy Anniversary. I can't believe it's been two years! You better make a stop in Indiana on your way back to Helena!!

    ReplyDelete