Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sexy Tea? by Dana

Sometimes when folks ask for more blog posts, I think, hmmm.  We are doing just the same things you are you doing:  shopping for groceries, taking kids to school, working out, serving as we know how, going to church.  What I realize is that our "adventurous life" has become routine for us in some ways. Granted shopping for groceries often means at an open air market in a throng, going to school is in a taxi or public transport, working out is playing fronton or a step aerobics class in a garage, making food for is often for 50+ people and trying to understand a sermon is in another language.  The "wow" every moment fades as we live and love our life here.

However, there has been some recent highlights.  Quinn has long enjoyed being younger than me.  I hit my 40's a few years ago, he still basks in the 30's (albeit close the the cliff of middle age).  His birthday was this week, and one of his fronton (similar to racquetball) partners aptly demonstrated Quinn's favorite form of communication:  jokes, put-downs and light-hearted harassment.  I am happy to know that Bolivian friends can introduce Quinn to new products for men of a certain age.  Who knew tea, prunes and elbow braces could be so sexy?!
Quinn's birthday gifts from a Bolivian friend:  tea "Solo Para Hombres" (tea only for men), prunes, and an arm brace for fronton



For Quinn's birthday, he made barbecued choripan (sausage) for his coworkers.  Just meat and bread...no salad, fruit or cake (you think I didn't want to bring a cake?  Cookies?  Salad? Any side dish?  Remember, it was Quinn's birthday, unsanctioned by my birthday protocols).  But the food was yummy none the less, and a good moment for me to think about my favorite things about Quinn.

First of all, Quinn has risen so well to many challenges:  preaching and teaching in Spanish (and yikes...to other pastors), waded through immigration time and again, given good advice and wisdom to complex business situation, and shepherded his family through major changes, with joy. He has gone deep into the theology of work with a new passion that grows.Our year and a half here has brought a greater depth of my love and respect for him (although I will not let him read this post before I put it up--it will embarrass him--take that, babe in youth-land, utterer of countless jokes about my 3+ years your senior).  In all seriousness, Quinn has my deep admiration because with a quiet humility, he keeps our family looking up.  Looking up to the future, knowing that Christ died for us and loves us, looking up in prayer when we get discouraged, and looking up to Jesus as our example of how to live, serve, and take hold of joy.

So there you have it, a little update on our week.  And this weekend, I am happy to announce I'll be climbing Turani, a peak of 17,000 feet.  At least I hope I make it with my altitude pills!  All God's blessings, Dana


7 comments:

  1. A lovely post, Dana! I think we all see why you two make such a good team. Blessings, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about looking up to Jesus this morning. Not looking behind, to the side, or even forward, but up. Glad to see that we are thinking the same things. And as for that young man that you are married to, I say Happy Birthday to Quinn and may every day be full of the light of Christ. He is a blessed man to have such a devoted wife! I love his strength which comes from God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best, and as you know, you had an important part in causing me to marry the guy from the ranch wearing WRANGLERS of all things!

      Delete
  3. As usual, Dana, you have made me smile and even laugh out loud! So it seems that thousands of miles and a very different culture has not change the man at all -- when it comes to being the sarcastic - joking - put down - funny guy that I've known for years! I'm glad to see that he has found other men like himself to pester and harass (and be the recipient of the same)! I miss the guy, anyway. I also find it interesting that you have all settled into a life that's not much different than ours, as you say -- still grocery shopping, school, working out, etc. -- albeit in a different language and settling! I find great solace to know that you are all doing so well. Sue and I miss you all so very much. Every time I drive to work I pass Fee Street and can't help but look to see if Quinn's truck and your car are parked there. But alas, it's not to be. It makes me sad, but it also makes me very proud because you are both giving of yourselves so selflessly to others. I smile as I continue to drive past Fee Street. Love you all tons! Todd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your note Todd! We love hearing from you, and of course miss you and Sue dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your post made me cry and then the comments brought more tears! I'm one blessed Mom!
    Love you! Kathy

    ReplyDelete