Tuesday, September 24, 2013

It All Adds Up, by Quinn


I loved my job at the Legislative Fiscal Division as a Fiscal Analyst.  But to be honest, when I was focusing on the budget of the Health & Human Services Division, I wasn't exactly operating in my areas of passion.  At the time, my bosses knew I was planning for and working toward leaving for Bolivia within the next year.  So working on the development of an Excel model for tracking and forecasting the cost of Medicaid to the State of Montana often felt like an activity with no connection to the rest of my life, but I hoped it would be helpful to my co-workers at least.


So what did I do last night?  Well, I taught a workshop on Excel, in Spanish, here in Bolivia.  But more than that, at the end of our time together, I learned that two Bolivian ladies I was teaching actually work in an HIV clinic here in Cochabamba, and that they have data going back to 1984, which they are interested in learning to use in a very similar manner.  Now they plan to spend the next month or so trying to get the data into a usable format, and then we will meet again to work together to develop a usable model for them, which will help them operate more efficiently in their clinic, allowing them to better assist people with a very real need.

Using Excel to help people with HIV.  Can't say I saw that one coming.

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome Quinn! Use those vlookup skills!! :)

    Take care. Brian Hannan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear of your teaching the use of software for such a worthwhile purpose. Bill Gates would be pleased, So am I.

    --Tom McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one more awesome example of how God is ALWAYS preparing us for the next thing. Praise God for your family responding to God's call in Bolivia, and for trusting God has prepared you ALREADY for the new things he is doing there! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinn, I am glad your skills can benefit the people of Bolivia too. I know that they benefit the people of Montana. Your "unloved" but very effective Medicaid forecasting was much appreciated by the Legislature and will be continued and expanded by other folks in the office.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Amy Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! We just live life and God orders our steps! I'm proud of you, son - always!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete